05-16 October 2015
Venue: Pushpa Gujral Science City, Kapurthala, Punjab, India
Astronomy is one of the oldest sciences concerned with the study of planets, stars, galaxies & other celestial objects and phenomena. From time immemorial the night sky has fascinated many cultures in the past including the Indians, Babylonians, Egyptians, Chinese & the Greeks and it continues to fascinate us even today. An opportunity of observing them with telescopes is quite an exciting and exhilarating experience. How about observing these objects with your own hand made telescope?
To promote such a scientific hobby and develop related skills, Vigyan Prasar in collaboration with Pushpa Gujral Science City-Kapurthala, Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA)-Pune and Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES)-Nainital is organizing a workshop on 'Astronomical Telescope Making' from 05 October to 16 October 2015 where participants will fabricate five inch (5'') Dobsonian Telescope under the close supervision and guidance of experts.
An excellent opportunity to learn telescope making and initiate observational astronomy:
1) The workshop is primarily aimed to attract professionals, amateurs and enthusiasts who would like to gain a first hand experience in the nitty-gritty of telescope making under expert supervision under one roof.
2) Successfully enrolled participants will be trained to make their own five inch (5") Dobsonian Telescope primarily from locally available material.
3) There is a provision for just 25 teams on a first come first serve basis. Each team should consist of maximum two members. Out of them one should be above the age of 18 Years.
4) After successful making of the telescope it will become property of the participants and they will take their telescope to home.
5) The last date of registration is August 15, 2015.
Workshop attractions: participants will....
1) Grind, polish glass blanks, test their own-hand-made mirrors and fabricate the dobsonian alt-azimuth mount using predominantly locally available materials. This is to impart and enhance skills to secure precise curvature, focal length and the reflecting surface.
2) Learn through night sky observations, practical sessions on how to use telescope, lectures on elementary astronomy, tips on astrophotography, interactions with eminent astronomers from various research institutions and many more.
3) Become part of a country-wide network. They will receive regular e-mail updates on astronomy activities, night sky events, and other special events including seminars/workshops/training sessions.
1) Each participant will have to pay a fee of Rs.10,000.
2) If a team of two members comes together, the team have to remit a sum of Rs.12,000. The members of the team should mutually agree to share the telescope for use.
3) Payments have to be made through a Demand Draft of any nationalized bank. The draft of required amount has to be made in favor of 'Pushpa Gujral Science City, payable at Kapurthala, Punjab'
4) This fee amount is meant to cover the cost of materials that will be used to make the telescope and a working lunch over the days of the workshop.
5) Participants will have to meet their own travel, lodging & boarding expenses. However, assistance may be provided to locate a suitable accommodation depending on the requirement and the budget of the participants.
6) Only online registration is allowed at www.vigyanprasar.gov.in.
7) List of selected participants will be displayed after deposit of registration amount.
Guidelines for online registration:
Before Filling up the Registration Form, Kindly make the Demand Draft.
1) Please fill all the entries.
2) After click in submit button, please take printout of the filled Registration form and note the reference number for future.
3) After taking print of the application form, please sign it and mention the date in the application form.
4) Send the filled application form along with Demand Draft(DD) to "Director, Pushpa Gujral Science City, Jalandhar-Kapurthala Road, Kapurthala, Punjab-144601" on or before 15th August 2015.
5) Please write your name, reference number, mobile number on back of Demand Draft (DD).
Online Registration: http://www.vigyanprasar.gov.in/whats_new/atm-workshop/atm-entry-form.aspx
Further Details: http://www.vigyanprasar.gov.in/whats_new/atm-workshop-2015/atm-workshop-2015.htm