Award of Fellowship 2014 for Tagore Centre for the Study of Culture and Civilization at Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla
1. Applications are invited for award of Fellowships in the Tagore Centre for the Study of Culture and Civilization.
2. The Tagore Centre is not a Tagore Study Centre which aims at studying just Tagore's work and thoughts though such a study is one of its important activities.
3. The Centre provides research opportunities to the practitioners of culture and civilization who are engaged with concerns similar to those which preoccupied Tagore such as education, environment, artistic and literary imagination, participatory development, nationalism, cultural influences, reconciliation, philosophy and humanism, science and society. Such engagement may involve textual study of his work, or a creative engagement with his literary imagination or with his experiments in music, dance, and painting, or practicing innovative ideas in education and environment in the urban and rural context, or simply with larger implications and possibilities of his vision.
4. The Centre allows for reflective and creative engagement with the human condition by exploring new idiom of art, poetry and music. It thus provides space to scholars as well as the practicing artists/artistes to signal Tagore's deep engagement with culture and civilization founded on his belief in the oneness of his world.
5. The Centre aims to initiate South-South intellectual and cultural exchange and has, therefore, been set up with the objective of serving as a site for dialogue between India and the world.
6. In all four Fellowships will be awarded out of which one is for either a poet, or a writer, or an artist-in-residence; one for a scholar from outside India; while the remaining two are general.
The application on the prescribed form may reach the Secretary, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla 171005 by 30 November 2013.
Further Details: http://iias.org/Advertisement_Fellowship_2013.pdf