15th March 2012
India Habitat Center, New Delhi
Organized by W3C India and IAMAI
India continues to be one of the world's fastest-growing telecommunications market due to a progressive regulatory regime, huge capital outlays for network expansion by operators, reductions in tariffs and cost of handsets. Accessing internet through mobile is seen as the future, hence enabling Indian languages on the mobile with parallel efforts enhancing the languages content on the web coupled by the development of various standards supporting these initiatives and our participation in such a global platforms is the ultimate long term goal. Interoperability is the key issue so that the dissemination of multilingual news and information can be handled seamlessly across service providers and variety of mobile available in the market. Creating Web content that works well on mobile devices is challenging for the majority of today's Web content creators, since most of them are more accustomed to creating content for desktop devices.
This conference will cover various issues and challenges like presentation issues, mobile keypads, text transmission etc in mobile web in Indian languages. The Conference seeks to inform practitioners about the potential challenges which can be encountered during the implementation of mobile applications in Indian languages. This conference also covers the future actions that could accelerate the adoption and impact of W3C standards in the development of mobile applications in Indian languages.
Objectives of the Conference :
1. The Conference seeks to inform Technology developer/Service providers about the potential challenges which can be encountered during the implementation of mobile applications in Indian languages.
2. The current challenges and barriers that limit the potential impact of mobile technology in development.
3. Development of M-Governance in India and its approaches to mainstreaming mobile delivery of services.
4. The future actions that could accelerate the adoption and impact of the mobile platform for development
* Importance of local language in internet and mobile adoption.
* Moving away from exclusive to inclusive web with Indic;
* Opportunities in Local languages
Session 1 : "Challenges of Indic Adoption on Mobile Web
* Technology for enabling Indian Languages on Mobile Platform * Lack of multi standard interoperability
Session 2:"Best Practices for building Indic Web content for Mobile Web"
* Lack of Local Language support on commonly visited websites
* Lack of Discoverability of existing websites
Session 3 :"Enabling mobile & wireless handheld devices in Indian Languages"
* Indic as key to handset adoption
* Standardization in Text transmission in Indian Language
* Current barriers, challenges and limitations for rendering vernacular content
* Best practices of delivery in Mobile device in Indian languages
Session 4 :"Technology Demo for Deployment of Mobile Based Services"
Call for Speakers
To submit your request to be a speaker please send an email to email@example.com with the Subject Line:" Mobile Web Initiative in India" conference speaker submission. In the email be sure to include your contact information as well as the topic and abstract you are interested in speaking on.
We are looking for presentations that address the following topics :
1. Standardization of mobile keypads
2. Standardization in text transmission(SMS,MMS,IM) in Indian languages
3. Fonts and rendering issues in Indian languages
4. Current barriers and challenges in mobile web for Indian languages
5. Limitation of mobile devices while deploying mobile applications in Indian languages
6. Accessibility of mobile devices, services and content for people with disabilities
7. Best practices for delivery web contents in mobile devices in Indian languages
8. M-Governance in India
9. Mobile-OK Certification/Checker for Indian languages.