2–5 February 2012
Organized by Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB), India
THEME: IP for Development: The emerging Paradigm
Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, IIT Bombay through the support of the Ministry of Human Resources Development IPR Chair Project, Government of India, is hosting the 1st International Conference on Management of Intellectual Property Rights and Strategy MIPS 2012 at IIT Bombay, India. The core focus of this conference is to provide a suitable and conducive platform to discuss, debate and present contemporary research in the area of Intellectual Property Rights and its management.
Theme of the Conference:
The theme for the conference is "IP for Development: The emerging Paradigm". Following are the Track of interest identified, but are NOT limited to:
- Economics of commons – managing technology, knowledge transfer and spillovers, standardisation and pooling through IPR
- Identification, Decisions and Strategic management of IPR – IP Informatics and analysis
- Missing IP management in strategy
- Myths and realities in IP Quality, Valuation and its branding
- Navigating the Digital jungle – IPR as the compass
- Public institutions, requirements and intergenerational equity of IP
- Rationales and Paradigms in the role of IPR
- The Public – Private Dichotomy under TRIPS Flexibility and Maximum standards
- Tripping open innovation – Does IP close the opening of collaborative innovation models?
The submissions are through the online mode only. Register and upload your extended abstract online at towards the submission and review process. The extended abstract would be limited to 750 words [including the keywords]. Workshop / Tutorial proposals <500 words related to IPR are also invited. Full papers are expected by October 1, 2011. Selected and reviewed submissions would be accommodated in Research / Practitioners / Case study stream. Full papers are a must to be eligible for the research papers stream and the related grants. Practitioners' series can be an extended abstract of 3 pages.
The conference attempts to truly balance the academician researcher and the industrial practitioner. This conference has three different modes of presentation for the selected papers – Research Stream, Practitioners Stream and Case study stream.
In order to enhance, expand and acknowledge the quality of IPR research occurring in the country, the conference is proposing two sets of awards to be presented. The first set of awards is towards the recognition of the top two research, practitioner and case papers under Indian and foreign category.
The second set of awards is for the best thesis in the area of IPR, being defended under Indian and foreign category. Further information on the nomination and application process / guidelines will be released shortly.
Select submissions will be invited for potential publications in two journals – International Journal of IP management and International Journal of Technology Transfer and commercialisation, both by Inderscience Publishers.
Student and Researchers' Support
The conference is in the process of finalising travel support for shortlisted students from India who present their research work and partial travel support for shortlisted international students [especially developing nations] who present their research work.
- Extended Abstracts DUE: July 08, 2011
- Review status: August 16, 2011
- Workshops / Tutorials Proposals: July 08, 2011
- Full Paper for Review: October 1, 2011
- Full paper review and selection status: December 1, 2o11
- Early Registration: November 15 – December 31, 2011
- Regular Registration: December 11, 2011 onwards
- Camera Ready Paper: January 01, 2011
- Conference Dates: February 2-5, 2012
The conference provides the ideal opportunity for emerging researchers in the IPR domain to interact with experts and practitioners through doctoral colloquium, themed tracks and keynote sessions. Separate workshops and tutorials are also being planned as part of the pre conference event. To enable the industry and practitioners participation, the conference has separate case study tracks across the various industries and also application style papers which apply the various research models into reality. Proposals for workshops, tutorials and sponsorship are welcome.
MIPS 2012 conference Secretariat
SJMSOM, IIT Bombay, Powai
Please contact us at mips2012[at]som.iitb.ac.in
IPR Chair Project: Prof. Karuna Jain, iprchair[at]som.iitb.ac.in
IPR Chair Office: iprchair.office[at]som.iitb.ac.in