These research fellowships, for a maximum period of nine months, are designed for scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian institution and also for professionals with significant work experience and accomplishments.
Applications from all disciplines will be considered. Priority fields are: Agricultural Sciences; Economics; Education; Energy, Sustainable Development and Climate Change; Environment; International Relations; Management and Leadership Development; Media and Communications with focus on Public Service Broadcasting; Public Administration; Public Health; Science and Technology; Study of India with focus on contemporary issues; and Study of the United States. For Study of India or the Study of the United States (American Studies) the areas could include: language and literature, history, government, economics, society and culture, religion, and film studies.
These fellowships provide a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per US Government guidelines, round-trip economy class air travel, applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees, if any. Selected scholars will have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the US. No allowances are provided for dependents. The grant is not sufficient to support family members.
In addition to the General Prerequisites, the applicants:
* who are working on their Ph.D.s should have done adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India and the U.S. They should be registered for their Ph.D.s at an Indian institution at least one year prior to the date of application and should enclose a certificate from their Ph.D. supervisor commenting on their research work and the usefulness of the fellowship, and indicating the Ph.D. registration date;
- who are professionals should have a master's degree and substantive professional experience in the proposed field;
- should apply through proper channel, if employed;
- should enclose a 'writing sample' which could be a copy of an article or paper published/presented or extracts from the M.Phil. thesis; and
- should preferably be 45 years of age or under
Note: These fellowships are for pre-doctoral level research. Applications from scholars/professionals with Ph.D. degrees or at the final stage of thesis submission will not be considered.
How to Apply
Please refer to Application Procedure and Guidelines and download Application Material:
Application Due Date: July 15, 2011